Hazelnut Crusted Salmon or Tempeh
Marinated in Whiskey & Maple Syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup whiskey
1/4 cup water
2 tbs oil
1/2 tsp thyme
2 single serving salmon fillets
1 block thawed and poached tempeh*
1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
3 shallots finely chopped
1. Blend the ingredients of the marinade together. Pour into a
shallow baking casserole
2. Add your protein selection.
3. Marinate for 3/4 to 1 hour; spoon marinade over the fish or tempeh several
4. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
5. Reserve a little of the marinade before baking.
6. Blend the ingredients for the crust together.
7. Liberally pile on top of the salmon or tempeh. Pour on reserved marinade.
8. Bake for 1/2 hour or until the salmon is flaky.
9. Serve with steamed veggies and brown and wild rice with
* It is very important to poach the tempeh before using for two reasons:
1. If the tempeh is frozen like pulse foods it is still a live culture
and it needs to be poached in salted water or veggie broth to inactivate
2. Tempeh absorbs a lot of liquid. If you do not poach it first, it
will unevenly absorb the marinade and will lack flavour and texture.
Recipe by: Dorothy Wilson
"This recipe was created out of a flavour that popped into my head when my mom and sister were visiting. I just knew it would work for both salmon or
tempeh and it did."
Recipe published: Winter, 2007
Print Page Version
Catch of the Day Recipes
Above photos from Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia.
The content on this site should not take the place of advice from your doctor. Visitors to this site agree to the terms and conditions in the disclaimer.
Copyright © 1999-2012 Robin L. Russell