Brown Garlic Yam Soup2016-12-17
- Yield : 6 to 8 servings
- Prep Time : 30m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 cooked turkey carcass, divided into parts
- 2 tablespoons rendered turkey fat, plus 1 tablespoon
- 20 cloves garlic
- 2 large yellow onions, rough cut
- 2 large carrots, peeled and rough cut
- 2 ribs celery, rough cut
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 quart turkey stock
- 2 cups cooked and cold (leftover) yams
- 1/2 cup cleaned, stemmed and quartered shiitakes
- 1/2 cup leeks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Place carcass, wings, and bones in a small stockpot and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer.
Place unwashed roasting pan back on a hot burner and add 2 tablespoons rendered turkey fat. Brown the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Add vegetables to the stockpot with the carcass with the thyme and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 2 to 3 hours.
Strain and remove all the bones. Save the vegetables and place back in the stockpot with the 1 quart of turkey stock. Add the leftover yams and puree with butter. Check for seasoning.
In a separate small saute pan, heat up the remaining rendered turkey fat. Saute the shiitakes and leeks together until mixture is dry and very fragrant. Chop up the shiitake-leek mixture and fold in with the sour cream, juice, and chives.
Plating: Serve in warm soup plates and place a small dollop of sour cream on top.
Beverage: Leftover buttery California Chardonnay