Bunny Butt Carrot Cake Pancakes2015-08-25
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see Cook's Note)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup loosely packed finely shredded carrots (about 2 small carrots)
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for cooking the pancakes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 bananas
- 24 chocolate chips or raisins
- Honey or maple syrup, for serving
Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to keep the cooked pancakes warm.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, carrots and melted butter in a medium bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the pecans.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush with melted butter. Working in batches if necessary, use about half of the batter to make 4 round pancake "bodies" (about 1/4 cup batter per pancake). Cook until the pancakes are golden on the bottom and bubbly on top, 1 to 2 minutes, then flip and cook until they golden on the second side, about 1 minute more. Place the finished pancakes in the oven on the preheated baking sheet to keep them warm. Use the remaining batter to make 4 round "bunny head" pancakes and 8 oval "bunny paw" pancakes, using about 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake. Place the finished pancakes in the oven to keep warm.
Mix together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until well combined and smooth. To serve, place a large pancake in the center of each plate, then place a small round pancake at the top of each large pancake to make a "bunny head". Pipe or dollop two small dots of the cream cheese mixture at the bottom of the large pancake to attach the "feet." Pipe or dollop a bunny "tail" between each set of feet.
Peel and cut the top and bottom 2 inches from both bananas and cut the pieces in half lengthwise. Use the halved banana pieces to make "bunny ears". Slice the leftover pieces of banana crosswise into 8 slices total and add them to the feet. Finish the feet with 3 chocolate chips or raisins each. Serve the bunnies with honey or maple syrup on the side.