Butterscotch Pudding with Pumpkin Whipped Cream and Chocolate Toffee Chips2014-06-28
- Yield : 8 to 12 servings
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups whole milk, warmed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- Pumpkin Whipped Cream, for serving, recipe follows
- Five 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered toffee bars, such as Heath Bars, chopped, for serving
- Chocolate toffee chips, for serving
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup pumpkin pie filling
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla beans into the pan, then add the beans and the brown sugar. Simmer gently just until the sugar dissolves, then remove from the heat.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch together with 1 cup of the warmed milk until smooth. Then whisk in the eggs.
Slowly pour the remaining 4 cups of warmed milk into the melted brown sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Once this is smooth, whisk in the egg mixture. Return the pan to the stove and, whisking constantly, bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and reaches the texture of hot fudge, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Remove the vanilla beans, then stir in the salt and the Scotch and pour the pudding into 8 to 12 serving glasses. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press it directly on the surface of the pudding.
Serve with Pumpkin Whipped Cream, chopped toffee and chocolate toffee chips.
Add the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar to a cold metal bowl and whisk until it forms softs peaks. Stir in the vanilla, allspice, cinnamon and clove and continue to whisk until the cream forms stiff peaks. With a spatula, gently fold in the pumpkin pie filling.