- Yield : 8 servings
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- One 6- to 8-pound beef brisket
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with their liquid
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups brewed coffee with chicory, cooled
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Grits, such as Creamy Cheese Grits, recipe follows, for serving
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups stone-ground grits
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken (or beef) broth, plus more if needed
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups grated Cheddar
Combine the kosher salt, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, lemon pepper, thyme and oregano in a bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Rub the brisket with the dry rub, wrap in plastic TIGHTLY and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Put the brisket in a baking pan. Top with the celery, garlic, onions and green peppers. Pour over the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir, then add the coffee. Cover with foil and bake until the meat is very tender and shreds easily, 6 to 8 hours.
Remove the meat to a large cutting board and shred. Serve the shredded meat with the vegetables and juices. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with grits.
Heat the butter and oil in a pan and add the jalapenos, onions and bell peppers. Cook until softened, 5 minutes or so.
Pour in the grits, followed by the broth and 3 cups water. Stir, and then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and then cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the half-and-half. Stir, and then cook until the grits are tender, another 20 to 30 minutes. At any time, add more broth if the grits look like they need more cooking liquid.
Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately.