Charleston Shrimp and Grits2017-11-18
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat1 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Canadian bacon slices, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half (or use low-fat)
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- Chopped scallions (dark green tops only), for serving
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the white wine and let it bubble until it is mostly evaporated, about 1 minute.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the chicken broth and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining broth to the skillet along with the half-and-half and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the grits according to the package directions.
Serve the shrimp and sauce over the grits and top with the scallions.