Cherry Bomb Barbecue Sauce2019-07-15
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can cherry juice concentrate
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers, stems removed
- 4 packages dried sour cherries
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 to 8 pickled cherry peppers, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup sour cherry preserves
- One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons rye or bourbon whisky
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or more)
- Salt to taste
In a heavy saucepan, saute onion in oil until caramelized. Add cherry juice, vinegar, chipotle peppers two packages of dried cherries, garlic, paprika and pickled cherry peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until chipotle peppers are completely softened, at least 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool. In a food processor, puree this mixture together with the remaining two packages of dried cherries, the tomato paste, roasted red peppers and cherry preserves until smooth.
Push puree through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan. Add sugar and salt to taste. Add whiskey. Return to stove and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for another 20 minutes or so. Adjust salt and sugar.