- Yield : 6 servings
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fennel sausage, cut into bite- size pieces
- 2 (3-pound) chickens, cut into 8 to 10 pieces with bone left intact
- Kosher salt
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup quartered hot cherry peppers
- 1/2 cup hot cherry pepper juice, from the jar
- 1 cup chicken stock, plus a little more if needed
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, picked and chopped
Coat a large, wide pan with olive oil and bring the pan to a medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown well. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Season the chicken generously with salt and add to the pan that the sausage was browned in. Brown the chicken well. Once the chicken is brown on all sides, remove it from the pan and reserve.
Drain the oil from the pan and return it to the heat. Coat the pan lightly with new olive oil, add the onions, and season with salt. Cook the onions over medium heat until they are translucent and very aromatic, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
Add the wine to the pan and reduce it by half. While the wine is reducing, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the sausage and chicken to the pan and add the cherry peppers, cherry pepper juice, chicken stock, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes; add more chicken stock if the stock has reduced too much.
Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. The finished dish should be slightly soupy, spicy, and delicious.