Chico Ramen with Roasted Chicken Dashi and Shoyu Chicken2015-09-17
- Yield : 6 servings
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 6 servings store-bought fresh ramen noodles
- 6 ounces Ramen Base, recipe follows
- 72 ounces Chicken Dashi, recipe follows
- 18 ounces Shoyu Chicken, recipe follows
- 1 quart (4 cups) soy sauce
- 1 cup roughly chopped garlic
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken backs
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken feet
- 2 carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 pieces celery, cut into thirds
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 ounce bonito flakes
- 1 ounce kombu
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pork fat
- 1/4 cup whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
Bring water to boil in a medium pot. Drop in noodles and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. Strain and divide noodles among six bowls.
Add 1 ounce Ramen Base to each bowl, then add 12 ounces Chicken Dashi to each bowl. Top with Shoyu Chicken. Serve hot!
Cook's Notes: You can also top the ramen with kale chips, a soft egg, a scoop of garlic schmaltz, pickled shiitake mushrooms, or whatever topping you desire!
Because both the Chicken Dashi and Ramen Base freeze well and are time consuming, we recommend you make more than needed for 6 servings at a time!Â
Combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger, salt, scallions and mushrooms in a medium pot. Bring to just a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Combine chicken backs, chicken feet, carrots, celery and onion in a roasting pan. Roast for 10 minutes, then stir and roast until throughly browned, another 10 minutes. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and add a cup of water.
Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan while it's hot, then add all the contents to a large stockpot. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley, then cover with 6 1/2 quarts cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 6 hours.
Add bonito, kombu and scallions and continue to simmer, 20 minutes more. Strain and discard solids.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
Combine soy sauce and sugar and mix until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
Place chicken in a roasting pan and add the pork fat, garlic cloves, black pepper, salt, thyme sprigs and 1/2 cup water. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and garlic cloves.
Heat a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and brown slightly on both sides, about 1 minute each. Add soy sugar mixture and cook until it bubbles and starts to thicken, glazing the chicken, about 1 minute. Be careful, as this sauce can go from glossy to burnt quickly! Set aside to put on top of ramen.