Chocolate Shooting Stars with Strawberry Coulis2018-06-07
- Yield : 8 individual cakes
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup corn oil
- 6 ounces tofu, pressed dry
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup non-dairy, grain-sweetened chocolate chips
- 1 cup Dutch cocoa
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/4 cup vanilla soymilk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Strawberry Coulis, recipe follows
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled or thawed frozen strawberries (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, unless you have freshly picked berries in season
- 2 tablespoons of organic apple juice, plus additional as needed to thin sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Grand Marnier, or your favorite orange liqueur
- Fresh strawberry slices for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, sift cocoa, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. In a blender, combine maple syrup, corn oil, tofu, soy milk, vanilla extract and orange juice. Blend until the mixture achieves a smooth and even consistency. Add the wet ingredients to the sifted dry ones. Spoon the batter into oiled a floured star-shaped individual cake pans, filling them no more than 3/4 of the way full. Place about 10 chocolate chips in the center of the batter in the mold to form a "gooey" center. Bake the cakes for 15 to 18 minutes.
Glaze:Â Sift the cocoa. Whisk it together with maple syrup, corn oil and vanilla. On a low flame, stirring constantly, heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Refrigerate until glaze cools.
In a food processor combine the strawberries, maple syrup, and apple juice. Process until mixture is smooth, being careful not to over-process the berries or they will discolor. Add more apple juice as necessary if sauce is too thick.
Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a nonreactive bowl. Stir in the liqueur. This coulis will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.