Chunky Beef Chili2013-01-16
- Yield : 10 to 12 servings
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 50m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck roast, cut into cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 ounces beer
- One 14-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 guajillo chiles
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 3/4 cup masa
- Four 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Four 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Pico de gallo, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add the oil to the pot and sear the chuck roast until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the pot, then add the ground beef. Cook until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then return the chuck roast back to the pot with the beer and tomatoes.
Using scissors, snip the guajillo chiles into small strips. Add to the mixture and bring to a boil. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and 2 tablespoons salt, then reduce to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
Mix the masa with enough water to form a paste, then add it to the pot. Add the pinto and kidney beans and cook until the chili thickens, 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and simmer for 1 hour.
Serve with fixings such as pico de gallo, sour cream and lime wedges.