- Yield : 24 macaroons
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/2 cup dried apricots or cherries, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 3 cups finely shredded sweetened coconut (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk the apricots, vanilla, salt, egg whites and orange zest together in a large bowl. Toss the coconut with the egg mixture until completely coated.
Moisten your fingertips with water. Form about 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter at a time into a tight ball and place on the prepared sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
Bake until the edges are golden brown and the entire macaroon is nicely toasted and dry, 16 to 20 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to a rack to cool. If desired, dip the bottoms of the cookies in the melted chocolate.
Store the macaroons in a tightly sealed container for up to a week.