Cod Wrapped in Rice Paper with Shiitake and Oyster Mushroom Sauce and Cilantro Mashed Potatoes2013-05-30
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 40m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 (8-ounce) captain's cut cod loins
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 4 sheets rice paper
- Cilantro Mashed Potatoes, recipe follows
- Mushroom Sauce, recipe follows
- 8 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup butter, heated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, heated
- 2 cups finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced oyster mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a saute pan and saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant; then add cilantro and green onion and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Carefully moisten 1 piece of rice paper in warm water for about 30 seconds, and then spread out on a cutting board and lightly pat dry. Place cod in the middle of paper and spread 1 tablespoon of the green onion mixture on top of the cod. Fold ends of rice paper around cod. Repeat with all 4 pieces and set cod bundles aside in refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
When ready to serve, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add cod parcels and sear on both sides. Place skillet in oven for about 8 minutes, or until cod is fully cooked through.
Divide mashed potatoes onto 4 plates, top with cod parcels, and spoon sauce onto plate. Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedge, if desired.
Gently boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and place potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter and cream and mash with a potato masher. Fold in the cilantro. Serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve.
Saute the mushrooms in 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and ginger and saute until aromatic, about 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with white wine and rice wine vinegar and cook until reduced by half. Add the remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.