Cornbread Oyster Dressing2015-01-06
- Yield : 10 to 12 servings
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 50m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 ounces fat-back pork, cut into 1/4-inch cubes, or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 24 freshly shucked oysters, medium size (preferably Blue Points) with their juice
- 2 tablespoons crushed, dried sage leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the cubed fat-back or oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the diced onions and saute until they become translucent. To the onions add the sliced celery and continue to cook 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
In a bowl combine the eggs and milk. Add the crumbled cornbread, the oysters and their juices, the cooked onion and celery, sage, salt and pepper. Coat the sides of a baking dish with the butter. Pour the cornbread-oyster stuffing into the dish, and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool several minutes before serving.