Duck Confit Sliders, Banh-Mi Style2016-02-03
- Yield : 4 to 6 appetizer servings
- Cook Time : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Rendered duck fat from 1 duck, at warm temperature, plus more fat (chicken, duck, bacon, oil, etc.) as needed
- 4 duck legs and thighs
- Pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 shallot, peeled and trimmed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and trimmed
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup liquid duck fat
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 4 to 6 slider rolls
- 1 cup freshly picked cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
Season both sides of the duck with the salt, sugar, coriander, paprika, and cinnamon. Add the peppercorns and the seasoned duck to the rendered fat, making sure the duck is submerged. Cover the pan with foil and place and cook for about 4 to 6 hours, until fork tender.
Place a medium pot over medium heat and add the sugar, shallot, garlic, jalapeno, bay leaf, salt, coriander seeds, peppercorns, white wine vinegar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the carrots, and bring back to a simmer. Allow to simmer until the carrots are al dente, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Whisk the egg yolks, garlic and lime juice together. Whisk in 1/3 to 1/2 cup liquid duck fat. Add the lime zest and season with hot sauce, and salt, to taste.
Remove the duck from the oven. Carefully remove from the fat and place skin-side down onto a cast iron pan over high heat to crisp the fat, about 2 minutes. Strain the fat and reuse it a couple more times, if desired. Remove the duck from the pan and shred with fork.
Slice the slider rolls in half. Place some of the pickled carrots onto the bottom of the bun. Top the carrots with some of the shredded duck. Spoon some of the aioli and cilantro leaves over top and cover with the slider lids and skewer.