Flank Steak with Roasted Root Vegetables2019-02-01
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat5 grams
- 6 carrots, halved crosswise and lengthwise
- 4 parsnips, halved crosswise and lengthwise
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, plus 1 sprig
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard or spicy mustard, plus more for serving
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping
Position racks in the lower third and top of the oven; preheat the broiler. Toss the carrots, parsnips, turnip, olive oil, chopped rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast on the lower oven rack, 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, halve the steak lengthwise and poke a few times on both sides with a fork; transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the bourbon, brown sugar, mustard and garlic; tear the rosemary sprig in half and add to the bag. Seal and vigorously massage the ingredients into the meat for 5 minutes to tenderize. Transfer the steak to a foil-lined baking sheet, discarding the marinade. Season with salt and pepper.
Leaving the vegetables in the oven, broil the steak until a thermometer inserted sideways into the center registers 125 degrees F to 130 degrees F for medium rare, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to rest, 5 minutes. Move the vegetables to the top oven rack and broil, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.
Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables. Top with parsley and serve with mustard.