Fried Calamari with Aioli2019-06-03
- Yield : 4 appetizer servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 24 Ritz crackers (about 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound small squid, cleaned
- Approximately 5 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Accompaniment: lemon wedges
To make aioli: In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, parsley, and garlic until combined well and season with salt and pepper. Aioli may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
In a food processor pulse crackers with flour, salt, and sugar until finely ground and transfer to a bowl.
Cut flaps from squid sacs if attached. Cut sacs into 1/4-inch-thick rings. Pat squid dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a 3-quart heavy kettle heat 2-inches oil over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375 degrees. While oil is heating, toss squid in flour mixture to coat, shaking off excess. Fry squid in small batches, turning, until golden and crisp, about 1 minute, transferring with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Make sure oil returns to 375 degrees between batches. Serve squid with aioli and lemon wedges.