Glazed Short Rib Crostini Stack2015-02-01
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 pound boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces blue cheese, at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the short ribs: Cut the short ribs into bite-sized chunks (you should have at least 12). Sprinkle with the paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Heat the olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the short rib pieces and brown all over, 4 to 5 minutes total. Remove to a plate.
Add the garlic, carrot, onion and thyme to the Dutch oven and cook until the vegetables just begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the meat back in and add the wine, then increase the heat to boil the wine down to a glaze, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, honey and vinegar and reduce the heat to low so that the liquid is simmering. Cover and cook until the meat is tender but not falling apart, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pick out and discard the vegetables and thyme from the Dutch oven. Increase the heat to high and boil the liquid down to a thin glaze, about 5 minutes. Add the meat back and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
For the crostini: Arrange the baguette slices on a sheet tray in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil. Toast in the oven until just crisp but not browned, 4 to 5 minutes. In a small bowl, mash together the blue cheese, cream cheese and chives with some pepper. Spread the mixture onto the toasted bread and broil until the cheese just begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Top each cheese toast with 1 to 2 pieces of glazed short rib. Garnish with some chopped chives.