Grilled Asparagus with Hazelnut-Star Anise Mayonnaise2012-12-04
- Yield : Makes 6 servings
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 star anise, ground (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup toasted, skinned, and finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 pounds asparagus, tough bottoms snapped off
- Olive oil for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 orange, sliced or cut into wedges for garnish
In a food processor or blender, combine the egg yolks, vinegar, citrus juices and zest, honey, salt, pepper, and star anise. While the machine is running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until the mixture is emulsified. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chopped hazelnuts for a garnish and process the rest briefly with the mayonnaise. Remove the mayonnaise to a small bowl.
Fire up the grill. Brush the asparagus with olive oil and lay horizontally across the grill grates. This prevents them from falling through the grates. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll the asparagus with tongs to grill them evenly, and don't be afraid to char them a little bit. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the asparagus and the heat of the grill. Medium-thick asparagus takes about 6 minutes.
On the plate: Arrange the asparagus in bundles on plates. Drape some of the mayonnaise over each bundle. Sprinkle the remaining chopped toasted hazelnuts over the mayonnaise and garnish with orange slices or wedges.