Grilled Farmer’s Market Paella2016-07-30
- Yield : 4 to 6 servings
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 whole chicken legs (with thighs connected)
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage
- 2 links hot Italian sausage
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice (leftover rice works great)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut from the cobs
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick diagonally
- 1 yellow squash, sliced 1/2 inch thick diagonally
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (yellow or red)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup minced fresh herbs (I used lemon basil, flat-leaf parsley and cilantro)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
Drizzle the chicken legs and sausage links with 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken and sausage until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove to a sheet pan to rest for 5 minutes, then slice the sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, bacon, corn and scallions. Coat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the rice mixture to the skillet and press it evenly onto the bottom of the skillet using a measuring cup. Place the skillet onto the hot grill; do not stir. Let the skillet sit on the heat until a dark brown, crispy crust forms underneath the rice, about 25 minutes.
Toss the zucchini and squash with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Do the same with the cherry tomatoes. Grill the zucchini and squash until tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the cherry tomatoes until beginning to char slightly, about 4 minutes. Remove to the sheet pan with the chicken and sausage.
Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs over the rice and sprinkle with the lemon zest and juice. Place the chicken, sausage, tomatoes, zucchini and squash onto the rice. Use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the rice from the skillet and toss the mixture before serving.