Grilled Spiny Lobsters with Bahamian Curry Sauce2017-12-03
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chile de arbol
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Mesa Curry Mix (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups lobster stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 (10 to 12 ounce) spiny lobster tails
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
In a small bowl, combine all of the spices. Transfer to a sealed container and store for up to 1 month.
Bahamian Curry Sauce:
For Bahamian Curry Sauce:
Heat the oil in a medium Dutch oven over high heat. Add the onions and ginger and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the Mesa Curry Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the lobster stock and coconut milk and cook until reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. *Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain into a small saucepan and cook to a sauce consistency. Season with honey, salt and pepper, to taste, and fold in the cilantro. Keep warm.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
For Spiny Lobsters:
Preheat the grill to high.
In a pot fitted with a steamer insert, steam the lobster tails until just beginning to become opaque. Remove the tails from the steamer, brush with the oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Place 2 skewers, lengthwise, into each tail so the tails will lie flat on the grill. Grill flesh side down for about 10 minutes or until marked and just cooked through. Serve with the Curry Sauce.