Heirloom Rye Biscuits2014-07-12
- Yield : 6 biscuits
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup for dusting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, very chilled and diced
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- Strawberry Jam, recipe follows
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest plus juice of half a lemon
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together the rye flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with your hands until you have pea-size crumbs and the flour is coated with butter. Stir in the buttermilk.
Dust a work surface with the remaining 1/4 cup flour.
Pat the dough into a rectangle. Fold the dough over on itself a few times and pat out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Punch out 6 biscuits with a 2 3/4-inch ring mold or biscuit cutter and place in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve with Strawberry Jam.
Add the strawberries, sugar and lemon zest and juice to a medium skillet set over medium-high heat and stir until thickened and a jammy consistency, 9 to 10 minutes.