Hoppy Hush Puppies2013-12-22
- Yield : 1 1/2 dozen
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 8m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 Anaheim pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 serrano pepper, roasted, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup grilled or roasted fresh corn kernels
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pilsner-style beer, room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 quart corn oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Agave Butter, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, add the cornbread mix, peppers, corn kernels, the egg, beer and cheese. Stir with a fork to just combine and let sit for 7 minutes.
Heat the oil, (3 to 4 inches deep), in a heavy pan or Dutch oven to 365 degrees F.
Using 2 large soupspoons, drop the mixture, in batches into the hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a wire rack lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt when still hot. Put the baking sheet in a warm oven, if not serving right away, or serve immediately with Spicy Agave Butter.
In a small bowl, add the butter and mix with a fork until light and fluffy. Stir in the spices and the agave syrup. Stir well to combine and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.