Kicked Up No-Bake Nachos2012-10-22
- Yield : 6 servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 large bag corn chips
- Chili con Queso, recipe follows
- Pickled jalapeno slices, optional
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Chopped grilled green onions, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced chorizo
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup canned chopped mild green chiles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated medium Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Spread the corn chips in a thick layer across a large heat-proof tray or decorative platter.
Ladle the chili con queso over the chips in an even layer. If desired, top with jalapeno slices. Evenly arrange the chopped avocados, green onions, and cilantro over the cheese layer and top with dollops of sour cream. Serve immediately.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until fat starts to render, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, Essence, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chopped chiles, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add the cream and stir until thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cheeses and cook, stirring, until melted and well incorporated. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve immediately with or over chips.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.