Lemon Tea Bread2019-07-26
- Course: Dessert
- Add to favorites
- Yield : 12 servings
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 extra large eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 scant cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche (or sour cream or plain yogurt)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 9 by 5 inch, 3-inch deep loaf pan.
To make the bread, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and juice, salt, and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Fold in the creme fraiche, flour, and baking powder. Gently fold in the melted butter, mixing just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 8 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make the frosting, sift the confectioners' sugar into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and salt, and stir until smooth. Adjust the sweetness by adding more lemon juice or more sugar as required. Drizzle the frosting over the warm bread and allow to set before serving.