Maui Onion and Sesame Seed Crusted Seared Ahi2018-02-05
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 35m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Maui onions, slide thin, for caramelizing
- 4 (6 ounce) ahi tuna steaks, 2 inches thick
- 12 ounces thinly sliced, dehydrated, and crushed Maui onions
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 cup premium Jasmine rice
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean, split
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups clam or fish broth
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups filtered apple juice
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 4 ounces soy margarine, chilled and cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup finely chopped chives
To prepare ahi:
In a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the sliced onion. Cook the onions, constantly stirring until onions caramelize. Set caramelized onions aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Roll the tuna in the dehydrated and crushed onions and sesame seeds. Sear on all sides until browned and to desired doneness (rare to medium-rare doneness is recommended).
To make Vanilla Bean Jasmine Rice:
In a medium saucepot, cook rice over medium heat with vanilla bean, shallots, butter, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the saucepot with a lid. Simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
To make Apple Cider-Soy Butter Vinaigrette:
In a medium saucepan, combine both vinegars and apple juice over medium heat. Reduce the liquid mixture to 1/2 cup. Just before serving, stir in the cold butter and margarine in small quantities while whisking over medium heat. Place in a blender and blend for just a few seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the tuna steaks alongside Jasmine rice and caramelized onions, drizzled with the vinaigrette and sprinkled with chives.