Mediterranean Tuna Melts2014-10-06
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat10 grams
- 3 7-ounce cans oil-packed light tuna (preferably Italian)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole pitas, each split into 2 rounds
- 4 ounces muenster or halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Drain the tuna, reserving 2 tablespoons oil. Toss the tuna, reserved oil, 1/4 cup parsley, the olives, red onion, the juice of 1/2 lemon, the smoked paprika, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper in a medium bowl. Spread the tuna salad on 4 of the pita halves; top with the cheese and the remaining pita halves.
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. One at a time, add the sandwiches and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers, the remaining 1/4 cup parsley, 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil and the juice of the remaining 1/2 lemon in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Cut the tuna melts into wedges. Serve with the arugula salad.