Mexican Cemita Burger2014-07-24
- Yield : 4 burgers
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 large chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema (can substitute creme fraiche)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups lightly mashed Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Oaxacan cheese, separated into thin strings (can substitute mozzarella)
- 4 sesame seed buns, split
- Corn tortilla chips
- 4 very thin slices red onion
- 5 papalo leaves, finely minced (can substitute 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs, plus 2 tablespoons watercress leaves)
In a small mixing bowl combine the chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, Mexican crema, and mayonnaise. Mix until well combined and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl combine the avocado and lime juice. Season, to taste, with salt and set aside.
Combine the beef, adobo sauce, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well, handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties to fit the size of the buns.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add burgers. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip burgers. Top the burgers with Oaxacan cheese and cover with aluminum foil. Cook until the burgers are cooked medium-rare, about 3 to 4 minutes. Toast the buns.
To assemble the burgers, spread some Chipotle Crema on the cut sides of the buns. On each bun bottom, add some corn tortilla chips, a cheese-topped patty, onion, equal amounts of Avocado Spread, and papalo. Cover with the bun tops and serve.