Oma’s German Potato Salad2019-07-29
- Yield : 8 servings
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 5m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (about 4), peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Put the potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Let the potatoes cool for 45 minutes; they will still be warm but will hold their shape when sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Remove the drippings from the pan; return 3 tablespoonfuls and discard the rest.
Add the onions to the pan and sweat over medium heat until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the vinegar, mustard, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
Add the cooled potatoes, half the cooked bacon, half the scallions, half the parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the remaining bacon, scallions and parsley.