PB and J French Toast with Strawberry Compote2015-02-13
- Yield : 1 serving
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Two 1/2-inch slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry Compote, plus more for serving, recipe follows
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed sweetened corn flake cereal, such as Frosted Flakes
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (see Cook's Note)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch kosher salt
Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as you would normally, using the French bread, peanut butter and Strawberry Compote.
In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg to make your French toast batter. Dip the sandwich in the batter for about 10 seconds on each side, then coat the battered sandwich with the crushed cereal.
Heat the clarified butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the sandwich on each side until it's a nice golden brown! Cut in half, dust with powdered sugar, and serve with a spoonful of Strawberry Compote on the side.
Combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently (to prevent burning), until thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm or keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.