Pina Colada Poke Cake2012-12-16
- Yield : 8 to 10 servings
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 10m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Nonstick cooking spray, for spraying the baking dish
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients on the box
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- One 16-ounce jar maraschino cherries (24 cherries for the holes, the rest for garnish), stems removed
- 1 cup cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez
- 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Prepare the cake mix in a bowl according to the package instructions. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake according to the instructions. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Combine the heavy cream, sugar and coconut extract in a chilled metal bowl. Whip the cream with a whisk or electric hand mixer until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake, 6 across in each of 4 rows, to make 24 holes. Press a cherry into each hole.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of coconut, crushed pineapple and rum. Slowly pour and spread over the cake and let stand until the liquid is absorbed into the holes, about 10 minutes.
Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake, sprinkle with toasted coconut and garnish with the leftover maraschino cherries.