Pork Tenderloin Posole with Bottom of the Bowl Nacho Surprise2018-04-23
- Course: Main Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Add to favorites
- Yield : 6 servings
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 8 green New Mexico chile peppers or 6 poblano or Anaheim peppers
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano, lightly crushed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cans white or yellow hominy, drained
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- 2 cups shredded asadero or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves, torn, for serving
Heat the broiler. Broil the chile peppers, turning occasionally with tongs and leaving the oven door ajar to allow steam to escape, until the skins are blackened all over. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let cool. Reserve 3 of the chiles (2 if using poblano or Anaheim) for another use, such as Mexican Chorizo Strata. Peel, seed and chop the remaining 6 (or 4) chiles.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot. Add the pork and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and the edges are crisp. Remove the pork to a plate and add the garlic, celery and onions. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatillos, coriander, cumin and oregano and season with salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the stock, honey, hominy and roasted chiles. Transfer half the soup to a food processor and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pot along with the pork and simmer at a low bubble until the pork is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the tortilla chips on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until browned and very crisp. Pile a handful of chips in each of 6 shallow bowls and top with the cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime. Top with the posole and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.