Prime Rib for Five2014-07-09
- Yield : 5 servings
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bone-in rib eye roast, 3 to 4 bones, 7 to 8 pounds
- 1/4 cup tricolor peppercorns (or any peppercorns)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- One 10.5-ounce can beef consomme
- Worcestershire sauce, as needed
- Chimichurri Sauce, recipe follows, for serving
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over very high heat. Sear the roast in the skillet until a nice dark golden color, about 10 minutes.
Put the peppercorns in a bag and crush with a rolling pin. Mix the salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme and crushed peppercorns together in a bowl.
Place the roast on a rack over a roasting pan. Rub with the salt mixture, patting slightly to get it to stick to the meat. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and roast until a meat thermometer registers 125 degrees F for rare/medium rare, another 20 to 30 minutes (the roast will continue to cook slightly after removing it from the oven). Cover with foil and allow to rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
Deglaze the roasting pan by pouring in the consomme, a can of water and a few dashes of Worcestershire. Turn the burner to medium high and scrape up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Let cook for a minute or 2, then strain into a saucepan and keep warm. Skim the fat from the jus before serving.
Carve the roast into thick slices and serve with the jus and Chimichurri Sauce.
Fill a blender or food processor with the cilantro and parsley leaves. Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, garlic and lime juice. Put the lid on the blender, then remove the center piece. With the blender on low, drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until pureed and somewhat smooth.