Pulled Pork Arepas2019-03-03
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 pickled jalapeno slices, plus 2 tablespoons brine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups pre-cooked white cornmeal, such as P.A.N.
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick and cut into eight 2 1/2-inch squares
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces warm pulled pork
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lime juice, jalapeno brine, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the cabbages, cilantro and scallions and toss. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Stir together 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Gradually add the cornmeal to the water, using your fingers to stir and combine, until a soft and moist dough forms.
Divide the dough into 8 balls and pat each into a patty about 5 inches wide and 1/4-inch-thick.
Put a cube of mozzarella in the center of each patty. Fold the dough over the cheese, making sure the cheese is completely covered and sealed. Pat it back down until 3 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat until shimmering. Working in batches, cook the corn patties until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side; make sure the oil is hot for each batch. Transfer to a cooling rack set on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the edges are crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
When the arepas are cool enough to handle, use a thin serrated knife to slice a third of the way through each. Then use the knife tip to cut open the center of each to form a pocket, taking care to keep the sides intact. Wipe down the knife between cuts to remove any sticky cornmeal. Stuff each arepa with some pulled pork, jalapenos and coleslaw.