Pumpernickel Pastrami Panini with Rosemary-Ale Jus2019-07-02
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup dark beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced apple
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces shaved pastrami
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced sharp white Cheddar
To make the rosemary-ale jus, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium sized saucepan, over medium-low heat; whisk in beef broth, beer, garlic, rosemary, onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and allow to simmer.
In a large cast iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Stir in onion, apple, salt and the additional 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until light golden brown and tender; remove from skillet and set aside.
Divide pastrami equally between 4 slices of bread; top with apples and onions, and white Cheddar cheese. Top with remaining bread slices.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet; place 2 sandwiches in pan, place the bottom of a heavy skillet on top, and press down to flatten. Cook for 2 minutes, flip, press down with heavy skillet again, and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until crisp. Repeat process with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and additional 2 sandwiches; slice sandwiches in half, diagonally. Divide rosemary-ale jus into 4 small bowls, and serve with panini for dipping.