Quick Creamy Tomato Soup2012-11-13
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Two 15-ounce containers, chicken or vegetable stock/broth (preferred brand: Kitchen Basics)
- One 28-ounce can concentrated crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 20 leaves fresh basil, cut into chiffonade, for garnish
- Soup Toppers, for garnish, recipe follows
- 4 slices crusty bread, 4 inches across, 1/4-inch thick-slice artisan breads at counter in market
- 2 cloves cracked fresh garlic, optional
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shredded cheese to compliment your soup: provolone, Asiago, Cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, etc.
Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. When soup bubbles, stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. With an immersion blender, puree soup. Serve bowls of soup with basil chiffonade and floating Soup Toppers.
Toast bread slices in your toaster until golden. Rub the toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, if using. Arrange bread on cookie or baking sheet. Drizzle each slice with extra-virgin oil and top with a grind of black pepper and a layer of shredded cheese. Place under hot broiler to melt cheese until toppers are golden brown in color.