Raw Baby Artichoke Salad2017-05-25
- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Add to favorites
- Yield : 4 to 6 appetizer size salads
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 pound of tiny, young baby artichokes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups mixed mesclun salad
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, washed and stemmed
- 1/4 cup flat parsley leaves, washed and stemmed
- Chunk of Parmesan cheese for shavings
Choose only the smallest, most tender, of the young and green fresh artichokes. Once they have developed their purple choke inside they are no longer desirable for this raw salad.
Wash the artichokes carefully. Trim the pointy ends of the leaves, cut off the top 1/4-inch and tear off and discard and blemished outer leaves.
Slice the artichokes, paper thin, lengthwise and place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss to combine well. Marinate the artichoke for no more than several minutes or they may blacken.
Toss the salad greens with the basil and parsley leaves. Whisk the remaining lemon juice and olive oil together and dress the salad greens with this vinaigrette. Toss together.
Place some salad evenly divided on several plates and divide the sliced artichokes among the plates by topping each dish with some marinated artichokes.
Shave fresh Parmesan cheese on each dish to finish.