Red Wine Cooked Apples with Pecan Crumble2015-03-03
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 5m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for buttering the casserole dish
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- One 750-milliliter bottle red wine
- About 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the crumble: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square casserole dish.
Combine the flour, pecans, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and melted butter in a large bowl.
For the cooked apples: Put the peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it closed. Place the apples in a pot with the spices and wine. Cook over medium heat until the apples are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the apples and continue to reduce the wine until it thickens, adding granulated sugar to taste. Dice the apples into large pieces and place into the prepared dish. Discard the spice bag and pour the liquid over the apples.
Top with the crumble and bake until warmed throughout and golden brown, about 30 minutes.