Refried Beans: Frijoles Refritos2018-02-04
- Course: Side Dish
- Add to favorites
- Yield : 8 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat0 grams
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, picked over for stones and impurities
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, and minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves or minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large stockpot, bring the beans to a boil in 8 cups water. Let boil for 15 minutes and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Drain beans in a colander and rinse. Wash out the pot and return the beans to the pot with 8 cups fresh water. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook until tender, about 2 hours over low heat.
In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper, and cook for a few minutes to allow flavors to integrate. Drain beans and add to pan, mashing the ingredients together. Heat through and serve with minced cilantro or minced parsley sprinkled on top.