Rigatoni with Merguez, Ricotta Salata, and Brown Butter2014-11-29
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 pound ziti or other tube-shaped pasta
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 pound merguez sausage (see Chef Talk, below), casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded ricotta salata cheese
- 1/2 cup Sicilian Bread Crumbs (see below) or pan-toasted soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups cubed (1-inch) trimmed brioche, challah, or crusty Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain well and rinse under cold running water.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until the milk solids in the saucepan turn hazelnut brown, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour the melted butter into a small bowl.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, occasionally stirring and breaking it up with the side of the spoon into bite-sized pieces, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it softens, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and parsley and mix well. Pour into a colander to drain the excess fat. Clean the skillet.
4. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage mixture and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the pasta mixture to a serving bowl. Add the browned butter and mix well. Top with the ricotta salata, Sicilian Bread Crumbs, and mint. Drizzle with additional olive oil, toss, and serve immediately.
1. To make the bread crumbs: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With the machine running, drop the garlic through the tube of a food processor to mince the garlic. Add the bread cubes, oil, and parsley and pulse until the bread becomes coarse crumbs. Spread on an 18-by-13-inch half-sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the crumbs are lightly toasted and smell garlicky, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Makes 2 cups. Measure out 1 cup of the bread crumbs. (Reserve the remaining bread crumbs for another use; they can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.)