Sausage and Kale Stuffing2019-06-29
- Yield : 6 to 8 servings
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch kale (preferably Tuscan), stemmed and chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 16 cups 1/2-inch stale white bread cubes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 3-quart baking dish. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
Add the celery, onions, thyme, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and set aside.
Whisk the eggs and parsley in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and the sausage mixture; stir to combine. Fold in the provolone. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into cubes and dot over the stuffing. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden brown, about 20 more minutes.