Sausage, Pepper and Onion One-Pot2016-12-28
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 pounds Italian hot and/or sweet sausages
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 large red or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes
- A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A loaf ciabatta bread*
Place the sausages in a high-sided skillet or Dutch oven and add 1-inch water and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat a bit and allow the water to boil away. The sausages will gently cook through in the water, and then the oil will crisp the casings up to a deep brown. Remove the sausages to a plate.
Heat extra-virgin olive oil, a couple of turn of the pan, in the same skillet over medium-high heat, stir in fennel seed and chile pepper, then add in the peppers, onions, and garlic as you slice them, season with salt and pepper and cook 15 minutes to soften. Stir in the tomato paste 1 minute, then wine for 1 minute more. Add the chicken stock and canned tomatoes. Finish with parsley.
Slice the sausages on an angle and add to the pot. Cover, cool completely, and store for a make-head meal. Reheat, covered, over moderate heat or in moderate oven.
Crisp up chunks of bread in a warm oven just before serving for mopping up your plate!