Scallion Blini with Chicken in Tandoori BBQ Sauce2012-10-23
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced freshly peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Blini, recipe follows
- Sliced scallions, garnish
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- Butter, for cooking blini
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
On a baking sheet with sides, add the chicken thighs, olive oil, ground coriander and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to coat. Roast the chicken in the oven until cooked through, about 30 minutes, and an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions, garlic, ginger and a sprinkling of salt. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the tandoori masala powder and saute a couple minutes until you can really smell the spices. Don't let the onions brown or stick to the bottom of the pot. Stir in the tomato sauce, molasses, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in the chopped cilantro. (Sauce can be made a day ahead and reheated to serve.) If the sauce gets too thick, stir in a few tablespoons of water until the desired consistency is reached.
Remove the chicken from the oven to a cutting board and allow it to rest for a few minutes. Slice into 1/2-inch strips and toss it into the sauce. Keep warm.
To serve, arrange the hot blini on a serving platter and top with the tandoori chicken. Garnish with scallions and serve.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the ricotta, eggs, and milk until combined. Whisk the flour mixture into the ricotta mixture until incorporated, then stir in the scallions.
Heat a griddle over medium-low heat until hot. Lightly brush with butter, then drop heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the griddle. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and edges of the blini start to dry, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the blini and cook until the underside is golden brown, about 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining batter.