Semolina Bread-Apple Stuffing With Dried Cranberries and Apricots2013-07-17
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Semolina bread
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions, leeks or scallions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Apples, cut into small chunks and sauteed in butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped if large
Chop the semolina bread into 1/2-inch cubes to make 16 cups. Stale bread works best for stuffing-if yours is fresh, spread out the cubes on baking sheet and dry in a 300 degrees F oven, 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat 1 stick butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth; bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.
Beat the eggs and parsley in a large bowl; stir in the bread cubes, the vegetable-broth mixture, the prepared apples, dried cranberries and apricots.
Transfer the mixture to a buttered 3-to-4-quart baking dish and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F, 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, about 20 more minutes.