Shrimp and Barley Risotto2018-10-18
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat10 grams
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small bulb fennel, chopped, plus 1/4 cup fronds
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking pearl barley (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped fennel, garlic, rosemary and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the barley until combined.
Add the chicken broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the barley is tender but still a bit saucy, 8 to 10 minutes.
Uncover and stir in the shrimp and peas. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted. Stir in the parmesan and 2 tablespoons fennel fronds; season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and top with the remaining fennel fronds.