Shrimp and Pork Balls with Spicy Lime Dipping Sauce2015-02-17
- Yield : 24 balls, up to 4 servings, 6 balls each
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, coarsely chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup tamari, plus 3 tablespoons, dark soy, found on the international aisle
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, a big handful
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons water
In the bowl of a food processor combine the scallions, half of the ginger – grated or minced, half of the chopped chile pepper, garlic, 3 tablespoons tamari, cilantro and the lime zest. Pulse for 30 seconds, scrape down the bowl and then continue to process 1 minute or until finely ground. Add the shrimp and pork, process until the shrimp are ground into small pieces and the mixture is well combined but not so fine that it becomes a paste, about 1 minute. Roll the shrimp and pork mixture into to 24 balls, about the size of a large walnut. If you dip your hands in water before rolling the mixture the rolling goes a little easier.
Preheat a large nonstick skillet with 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the balls and don't move them until they are brown on 1 side, about 2 minutes. Turn the balls and continue to cook, browning on all sides until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
While the balls are cooking make the spicy lime dipping sauce: in a bowl combine the remaining ginger, chili pepper, 1/2 cup tamari, lime juice, toasted sesame oil, honey and 3 tablespoons (a splash) of water. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if you find it to be too salty, add another drizzle of honey.
Platter the shrimp and pork balls with a bowl of the spicy lime dipping sauce and toothpicks.