Sicilian Potato-and-Egg Cake2014-02-19
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat20 grams
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (2 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 5-ounce package mixed greens (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Set a rimmed baking sheet on the top oven rack; preheat to 475 degrees F. Put the potatoes and 1 tablespoon water in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and pierce a few times with a knife to vent. Microwave until very tender, 10 to 13 minutes. Meanwhile, generously butter an 8-inch-round cake pan; sprinkle in 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and shake to coat, then tap out the excess.
Add 4 tablespoons butter and the parmesan to the potatoes; season with salt and pepper and mash. Gradually mash in the beaten eggs. Spread half of the mixture in the prepared pan; top with the provolone, peppers and parsley, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the remaining potato mixture and smooth evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs. Dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
Set the pan on the hot baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen, then unmold. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, toss the salad greens, olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the potato cake.