- Yield : One 15-by-10-inch pan
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups finely chopped leeks (white part only)
- 4 cups finely chopped shallots or onions
- 6 bags fresh spinach, roughly chopped (10-ounce bags)
- 4 cups chopped scallions
- 5 cups cubed feta
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated kefalotiri cheese
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups olive oil, for brushing
- One box number-10 phyllo dough (thicker)
- One box number-7 phyllo dough (thinner)
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic, leeks and shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and scallions and cover the pot for a few minutes until spinach has wilted significantly. Uncover and simmer on medium-low heat to allow the liquids to evaporate (be sure not to let spinach mixture to burn). When the majority of the liquids have evaporated, transfer to a large bowl. Mix the feta, ricotta, kefalotiri, dill, mint, pepper, nutmeg and eggs in a large bowl. Gently fold the cheese mixture into the cooled spinach mixture.
Brush a 15-by-10-inch rectangular pan with olive oil. Gently place one sheet of number-10 phyllo in the bottom of the pan and brush with olive oil, making sure to coat well. Repeat this step eight times. This creates a nice strong base for serving.
Pour in the spinach filling. Use the entire box of number-7 phyllo on top of the spinach, making sure to coat each layer of dough very well with olive oil. Also make sure to tuck in edges of the phyllo around the pan to make it look pretty. Score the pie in appropriate portion sizes. Brush the top with the beaten eggs; this gives it the beautiful golden brown color that is achieved after approximately 1 hour of baking.