South of the Border Chopped Salad2013-09-15
- Yield : 4 to 6 servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Spice Mix, recipe follows
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounce) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 4 ounces queso fresco or feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground chile powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
To make the salad, preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush each tortilla with vegetable oil on both sides, then sprinkle with salt. Stack tortillas and cut into thin strips. Scatter strips on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, to make the vinaigrette, stir together the lime juice and spice mix; pour in olive oil and whisk to blend. Stir in green onions.
To assemble the salad, put lettuce in a large bowl. Top with cooled tortilla strips, beans, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and cilantro. Add dressing and toss well.
To make the spice mix, stir together salt and spices in a sealable plastic bag. Store up to 1 month.