Spanish Rice Casserole: Paella2016-10-19
- Yield : 10 servings
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 ounces chorizo, cut into brunoise
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 6 ounces Spanish onion, cut into brunoise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 chicken bone-in thighs, quartered
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 3/4 pounds long-grained rice, soaked in cool water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, heated to a boil
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, soaked in 1 cup stock for 20 minutes
- 3 (4-ounce) shell-on lobster tails, quartered
- 10 snails, cleaned
- 5 ounces squid, cleaned and sliced into thin rings
- 10 small clams, scrubbed, opened, and upper shell removed
- 5 ounces fresh pea pods, washed and trimmed
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
In a large braising pan, render chorizo in oil over low heat, creating a flavored oil. Once rendered, heat the flavored oil to almost smoking and saute onions and garlic until translucent.
Add chicken pieces to pan and cook until brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and hold at 200 degrees, in the oven.
Add tomatoes to pan with paprika and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add drained rice and saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Return chicken pieces to pan and add boiling stock. Season, to taste, and add saffron stock.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and place all seafood on top. Replace cover and continue to simmer until chicken and seafood are tender and liquid is absorbed by the rice.
Add pea pods to the pan and cook, covered for an additional 2 minutes.
Serve immediately. Plate onto preheated dinner plates being sure each portion has rice, chicken, lobster, snails, squid, and clams.